Their Blood Cries Out
“…a Land that Hashem, your God, seeks out; the eyes of Hashem, your God, are always upon it, from the beginning of the year to year’s end.” — Devarim 11:12
Certain forms of agreement should cause deep reflection.
Here are some rabbinical statements about abortion across generations:
- “Abortion on demand is a moral abomination, whoever the fetus may be.” — Rav Aharon Lichteinstein
- “There is something totally amiss when a Jew does not realize that abortions are as important as the settlements.” — Rabbi Meir Kahane
- “I read from the press that in Eretz Yisrael they permit abortions now!… When a child is born, it’s also immigration to Eretz Yisrael, and yet you murder the children.” — Rav Yosef B. Soloveitchik
- “…this mass slaughter of the innocents in Israel, posing a security problem graver than any threats of war or terror.” — Rabbi Immanuel Jakobovits
- “The girls in the [Israeli] army get abortions from the government. Do you know what a ruination that is?…Oh, you have to know, Hakadosh Baruch Hu will not keep quiet. We’re afraid what’s going to happen in Eretz Yisrael. Their blood cries out from the earth.” — Rav Avigdor Miller
- “Should there be those who desire to persuade [you] that — G‑d forbid — you perform an abortion: Tell them that this constitutes deliberate murder of a creature who is as yet unable to protect himself from those who seek to murder him.” — The Lubavitcher Rebbe
- “…do what you can to help fight abortion; it’s a Holocaust, for in the last 40 years alone, we’ve lost 4 million Jewish babies [in Israel] to abortion.” — Rabbi Lazer Brody
- “During the holocaust, the former chief rabbi of Israel, Isaac Herzog, published a pamphlet attributing the calamity to the pervasiveness of abortion.” — Dr. Yechiel Michael Barilan
This is a hashkafically diverse group of figures. Their consensus means something.
That meaning takes on a chilling cast when one considers the degree of abortion in Israel today — not just broadly legal, not just subsidized, but one of the highest late-term abortion rates in the world. (For further information, see my previous article.)
In his biography of the Chazon Ish, Rabbi Shimon Finkelman describes the following incident:
“It happened once that a group of Israeli soldiers were engaging in target practice near his home on Shabbos. An officer knocked on the Chazon Ish’s door to assure him that this was only a training session and that there was nothing to fear. Said the Chazon Ish, ‘I am more afraid of your desecration of Shabbos than I am of Arab grenades during the weekdays!’ ”
The Chazon Ish understood on a marrow level the damage caused by national sin. Discussing such themes in a contemporary context, Rabbi Brody observes:
“We all must stand strong against the spiritual defilement of the Land of Israel if we expect to maintain true sovereignty on this tiny strip of holy real estate that the entire world is trying to take away from us…Hamas and Hizbulla were only created from our lack of holiness… For the defense of our Holy Land, let us become more holy. Holiness is our deed to this cherished piece of real estate that Hashem has entrusted to our safekeeping.”
So many Jews both in Israel and Chutz La’Aretz invert this relationship, focusing chiefly on the likes of Iran and BDS. Their evasion from domestic primacy only empowers the wickedness they intend to weaken. All the while, they think the most urgent threats of the day are confronted by posting about a malicious speech in Tehran or an anti-settlement action in Toronto.
How can one learn Tanach without seeing that Eretz Yisrael is not an unconditional gift, like some car one can repaint if the color loses appeal? How can people be chovevei Tzion and ignore a metziut where “more than a hundred children a day are thrown into a trash can”?
David Ben-Gurion said:
“The State of Israel will prove itself not by material wealth, not by military might or technical achievement, but by its moral character and human values.”
This is Israel in 2017: a high-tech giant with one of the world’s top percentage of millionaires and mightiest militaries, financing thousands of abortions each year while promoting sexual immorality domestically and abroad.
Peace should not be expected in this state of injustice. Their blood cries out.